Contempt Matters in CT

What Is Contempt, and When Is It Necessary to Pursue it in Court?

Contempt is when a party willfully does not uphold their obligation(s) of a Court Order. This could occur during the pendency of an action, or it can happy after a case ends and the final stipulation is entered (also known as post-judgment).

A good example of a party being in contempt would be if one party is ordered to pay the other a certain amount of child support, on a certain day of the week, and they willfully either miss payments, or only make a partial payment. The party owed the support would be able to file a Motion for Contempt with the court.

However, the burden would be on the moving party to show that the other party willfully violated a clear and unambiguous Court Order.
Unlike other initial pleadings that would start or open a case, a Motion for Contempt does not require a filing fee. In fact, you can often request that the respondent pay for the moving party’s counsel fees for having to pursue the action.


Why Choose Wolf & Shore Law Group to Help You with Your Contempt Action?

Have you ever argued with a woman? That’s our slogan for a reason. We are on your side, and we advocate for you zealously. We are honest with our clients about potential outcomes and provide thorough explanations to quell their concerns. We have handled hundreds of contempt issues for our clients, and have often helped them obtain counsel fees for their troubles. Learn more about our CT Law Group and how we can help, and get started on the process now by contacting us at (203) 745-3151 or info@ for a confidential consultation.